• The Western Cape holds a population of 5.2 million.
• The Cape boasts typical Mediterranean climate - warm summers and mild and cool wet winters.
• Summer temperatures range between 15 °C ( 59 °F) and 27 °C ( 80.6 °F )
• Winter temperature ranges between 7 °C (44.6 °F) at night and 18 °C (64.4 °F) by day.
• The regions superior water supply infrastructure guarantees some of the best water in the world.
• Spring water is available bottled.
• South African Time is set at GMT +2.
• There are no time zone differences within South Africa and there is no daylight saving system in summer.
• English is widely spoken and understood.
• Most South Africans are bilingual; Afrikaans and Xhosa are two official languages most spoken in the Western Cape.
• Visas are issued by the South African missions abroad and must be affixed in the applicant’s passport before departing for South Africa.
• Visas are not issued on arrival at South African ports on entry.
• Many nationalities do not require a visa to enter South Africa, it is best to check with your travel agents if this is enquired. Click here for more information.
• Foreign currency can be exchanged at commercial banks and at various Bureaux de Change. The Rand is the official currency in South Africa.
• Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday banks typically open between 9 am and 3 pm.
• On Saturdays opening hours are between 9 am and 11 am.
• An international driver’s licence is required when driving around South Africa. Driving is on the left and speed limits are in kilometres.
• 240 volts AC.
• For small appliances, a plug adaptor may be needed for three pin sockets.
• Monday to Sunday typically open between 9 am - 5:30 pm, although the V&A Waterfront and Canal Walk shopping centers are open until 9 pm.