Boot Camp: Public Speaking for Writers: How to Turn Your Readings into Book Sales
Friday, April 5, 2013 12:30PM - 3:30PM
Porter Anderson, Journalist/Critic/Writer/Speaker in Publishing
Going from the page to the stage is a longer distance than many authors think. It’s a completely different skill set. You've been sitting for months and years, working on your book. Now, we're going to get you up on your feet.
At a bookstore
In a conference ballroom
On the floor of a packed campus lecture hall
From a panel at a book fair
Dead center on a corporate auditorium stage
Nobody will cut you any slack because you're a writer, not an actor. And strong, live readings can do more to convert fence-sitters into buyers than many other marketing tactics.
So how do you learn to deliver your work with impact—with your text in your hand and a live audience in your face? That's why we're going to stand you up and workshop your presentation in real time.
- What a public reading is actually about. It’s not “let them hear a little sample of the work.”
- What an audience wants from an author at a reading – and how to give it to them.
- How to choose what to read. The right selection can be as important as what you do with it.
- How to rehearse ahead of your reading. It’ll excite you like nothing else. Warn your spouse.
- How to prep your reading for your listeners. It's not "setting the scene," as you may think.
- How to present yourself to the audience – the art of direct address.
- How to actually deliver your work and follow it up. What happens after the applause?
Attendees should bring two pages of their own work to read (either from a work in progress or from published material). We'll have you experience the reading on your feet, get feedback from your peers, and work with on-the-spot input from Porter Anderson, the session leader.
From what to wear to the Q&A, you can be in control of every appearance, if you know how. And you can come out with sales each time you read to an audience.
Additional Fee of $149.00 Required. Please see additional options page to add a Boot Camp to your registration.