|09:00 - 17:00||Recent Concepts for Bulk Filling of Posterior Cavities|
Dubai , UAE
Joseph Sabbagh, DDS, MSc, PhD, FICD – Lebanon
Date: 29 April 2016
Time: 09:00 to 18:00
Venue: Dubai , UAE
Registration Fee: AED 2000
(Teaching Method: Participation)
Layering technique or stratification concept, despite its aesthetic outcomes, and reduction in polymerization contraction, is time consuming; it takes 2.5 times more to achieve an adequate composite rather than an amalgam restoration. However, resin composites used in posterior teeth must fulfill a number of requirements such as good mechanical properties (high percentage of fillers), low shrinkage and good degree of conversion. On the other hand, the handling of the composite, its ease of placement and the delivery system of the material in the cavity are of paramount importance. The stickiness of the composite on the instrument and void inclusions are also important problems facing the dentist when placing the first composite layer in the bottom of the cavity.
Today, new bulk filling systems from different companies are available, relying on different technologies such as flowable resin composite, sonic energy or fiber-based resin composite. These systems allow optimal composite packing in one or two layers and good adaptation to cavity walls and adequate time for material sculpturing.
The use of direct composite is in continuous increase and every year more than 250 millions direct composite fillings are placed worldwide. Filling posterior cavities using resin composites has always been a challenging task for dentists looking for a fast and reliable technique.
1-Understand the concept of bulk filling in posterior restorations
2-Discuss their advantages and inconvenients compared to layering technique
3-Use the different systems available to achieve adequate posterior restorations
Who Should Attend?
Demonstration and Workshop:
Materials and Tools for Use:
Participants will perform each of the above mentioned steps on Dental models.
• 09:00-09:30 Introduction: Latest improvement in resin composites.
• 09:30-10:00 why direct composites are a good options and Disadvantages of posterior composites.
• 10:00-10:30 Guidance on posterior resin composites: AODES.
• 10:30-11:00 Coffee Break.
• 11:00-11:30 Successful posterior restorations.
• 11:30-12:00 BULK FILL and the different categories of materials and SOME FACTS to take into consideration.
• 12:00-12:30 Requirements for a successful bulk fill technique.
• 12:30-14:00 Lunch Break.
• 14:00-14:30 Goals in posterior restorations and Advantages of Bulk fill posterior composite
• 14:30-15:00 new trends in adhesive dentistry
• 15:00-15:30 Layering Technique and Polishing and finishing of bulk filling restorations.
• 15:30-16:30 Longevity of composite restorations and Recommendations for Posterior Restorations
• 16:30-17:00 Hands –on- Preparation of MOD cavity on a molar tooth.
• 17:00-17:30 Coffee Break.
• 17:30-18:00 Hands-on- Placement of the matrix, bonding and bulk fill application and Finishing and polishing of the bulk fill composite restoration.
He graduated from Saint-Joseph University in Beirut. In 2004, he obtained his PhD in biomaterials from the Catholic University of Louvain (UCL), Belgium. In 2000 he obtained a master in operative dentistry (restorative dentistry and endodontics) from UCL. Currently, he is an associate professor in the department of restorative and aesthetic dentistry in the Lebanese University and the director of several research projects. He is also a fellow researcher and a post-graduate lecturer UCL (Cribio division), Belgium. His private practice is limited to cosmetic dentistry and endodontics. He is a member of: the Academy of Operative Dentistry USA, the editorial board of Reality Endodontics Journal, USA, the International Association of Dental Research, and fellow of the International College of Dentists.