2019 AISES Leadership Summit Call for Session Proposals
The AISES Leadership Summit provides personal and career development through leadership training specifically designed for Native students and professionals. AISES is currently seeking engaging and innovative session proposals focused on leadership development designed to support Native college students and professionals on their educational and career journeys.
We encourage proposals that integrate indigenous knowledge and values into traditional or new leadership models and concepts that support personal and career development.
Each year AISES strives to provide energizing, inspirational, and thought-provoking content at the Leadership Summit. We wish to thank all previous presenters for contributing their insight and expertise. For the 2019 Summit, AISES is seeking new sessions with content never before presented at an AISES event and that focuses specifically on personal and professional leadership development.
Possible topics include:
- Strengthening ethical and personal values, and convictions to lead with integrity.
- Fostering interpersonal relationships by respecting the dignity and contribution of all people.
- Understanding leadership styles by unpacking and discussing their components.
- Defining and developing personal and collective values and vision for the future.
- Understanding how relationships, trust, and problem solving contribute to team building.
- Creating communities which value respect, openness, and diversity.
- Empowering the Indigenization of policies, practices, principles, ideas and experiences in the workplace or academic setting.
- Expanding culturally relevant business practices.
Student and professional attendees should leave their chosen sessions with a clear understanding of how the content will contribute to their leadership development. AISES will prioritize energetic and interactive sessions (i.e. small group dialogue, world café method, live polls, tech-powered panel discussions, etc.) over panel or lecture structured sessions.
Session Logistics (Two options)
Session Length: 50 minutes
Informational with some interactions
Session Length: 1 hour and 40 minutes
Activity focused with minimal lecture time.
- Higher Education track for undergraduate and graduate students in STEM.
- Professional track for AISES members currently in the STEM workforce (includes entry-level, mid-career, and seasoned professionals).
Proposal Review Process
All proposals will be evaluated by AISES staff and a review committee comprised of student representatives, AISES board, and the Council of Elders. Please be advised that the committee reserves the right to decline or accept your proposal in the interest of providing a balanced program. In some cases, AISES may request that sessions be combined and/or modified to meet the event’s objectives. Your flexibility and willingness to work with individuals with similar and/or related topics is appreciated.
Timeline and General Information
- March 14 – 16, at Harrah’s Casino & Resort in Cherokee, North Carolina.
- The deadline to submit proposals is January 14, 2019.
- We will begin notifying accepted speakers by January 28, 2019
- Presenters are invited to submit proposals that cater to both tracks.
Presentations and A/V
- Session rooms will be equipped with a projector, screen, presentation clicker, and Windows computer with internet access and connected to in-room sound system. Each room will also have a podium with microphone and head table and chairs. ALL rooms will be set with theatre style seating.
- All presenters are asked to bring any presentation materials on a flash drive or other USB storage device. Presentation laptops are not equipped with CD/DVD drives. You may use your own computer, but AISES will not be able to support computers that do not have an HDMI connection.
- For optimal display Power Point Presentations should be in the 16:9 format.
- Presenters are responsible for providing all other materials necessary for their presentations besides A/V.
Logistics for Presenters
- AISES will offer a 50% discount to session presenters (limit 2 discount codes per session, non-transferable) to attend the Leadership Summit.
- AISES requests you do NOT register for the Summit until session notifications are sent; no refunds will be processed for those who register and then wish to apply the presenter discount code. Codes will be provided after sessions have been selected.
- Presenters are responsible for their own travel, lodging and other related expenses.
For questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Setup your profile and then visit the submission tab.
After login visit the submission tab.